1) Geochemical analyses on carbonate deposits (mainly speleothems) aimed to palaeoclimate-environment reconstructions for:
- Produce novel palaeoclimate records from underrepresented areas and time periods;
- Absolute geochronological redefinition of inter-hemispheric climatic events;
- Understanding the role of climate in the migration, settlement and disappearance of Sapiens vs Neanderthals in the Mediterranean area.
- Comprehending the impact of Late Quaternary intra- and inter-millennial timescale climate changes on the geomorphological evolution of karst and non-karst terrains;
2) Physical, chemical and biological parameters regulating genesis and evolution of speleothems in calcareous, gypsum and quartzitic caves aimed to:
- Understanding geo vs bio elemental mobilization in extreme geochemical-microbiological terrestrial environments (caves) for comparison with extra-terrestrial environments.
Migration of South African Hominines in relation to climate changes. Reconstruction of quaternary sea-level oscillations, and the impact of global/local case level variation on geomorphological evolution of coastal and inland areas. Reconstruction of palaeoair-masses circulation (Mediterranean vs Atlantic) in the Tyrrhenian area (last 500 thousands years and focus on Holocene). 3D survey and speleogenetic evolution of caves in relation to Quaternary climate changes. Underground drainage during the Messinian salinity crisis (Southern Spain).
Speleothems geochronology (U-Th), stable isotopes (oxygen and carbon), trace elements, petrography and mineralogy; underground and surface geomorphology and stratigraphic sequences; karst coastal morphologies; physical-geochemical data on underground and surface water.
Expertise & Interests
Floods Working Group
PAGES-PMIP group on Quaternary Interglacials - QUIGS
Past Interglacials - PIGS
Pliocene climate variability - PlioVAR
QUIGS - PAGES-PMIP group on Quaternary Interglacials